Thursday, August 16, 2007

HOORAY!!

I am pleased to announce that our household baggage arrived yesterday. And, I am even more pleased to announce that it seems to be in mostly good condition. I'm pretty surprised considering the very inefficient way it was packed...our packers weren't the best. But it's here, and I've only found a few broken things. Of course I haven't opened all of our boxes yet!
I knew we were moving into a much smaller house than the one we left, but I didn't realize just how much smaller until we tried to move in all our stuff. There may be as much stuff stored in our attic and garage as there is in our house. I will miss my big kitchen table, but for two years in a good place, it is worth it. Besides, the more stuff we can sell at garage sales here, the less stuff we have to move and unpack next time!! (I'm such an optimist)
Unpacking has been a big job. My Corey genes kick in and I have to try and get it all done before I go to bed. Kade had to remind me several times last night that it can wait until tomorrow. I suppose it's all been in boxes for the past 2 months, it won't mind another day. I was very fortunate to have my friend Pam come and help me yesterday. Between dealing with my crazy schizophrenia yesterday and her 16 month old, she unpacked my whole kitchen! After the movers left, we sat down for a breather, and a bite of chocolate, then got back to work. I had previously bought and painted a cute shelf to put up in my kitchen. I had placed it extra high (about the height of the tops of the cabinets) to keep it out of the way. I needed a place to display my antiques and pottery. So, trying to clear some of the clutter from the kitchen, I placed my beloved antique jugs and my pottery from the Alsace region of France, up on that high, high shelf. 15 minutes later, we heard a tremendous crash in the kitchen. Yes, the worst happened. Two of my jugs and my pottery fell 7 feet to their death on my kitchen floor. They were survived only by the smaller 2 jugs, who sustained minor injuries, and that cursed shelf, with the lame hanger on it. Please, let us have a moment of silence for the fallen.
Ok, that's good. It is just stuff, and I am sad, 'cause I really liked it, but now it's just one less thing I have to dust. Oh well.
Welp, the rest of my week is pretty much just unpacking boxes and trying to fit everything into our house. Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions of how to tackle this room...

Please, feel free to leave those suggestions on the blog. And throwing it all away isn't a good suggestion.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Hey I have that gene it comes from the Chatfields. I know that a couple of our other sisters-in-law have it too. I think the Roundy men are drawn to that level of ambition.

No comment on the room, sorry.

But I send my "condolences" for the jugs. I too lost some glassware I deeply wanted to have forever, in a trek from Utah to NC. I feel your sorrow.

Heather said...

Soooo glad that you're stuff got there finally, but I'm sorry to hear about your jugs and dishes that crashed, that STINKS! Saw your fam this weekend...hope to see you this weekend!
Luv ya, Heather

Ben and Krystal said...

oooohhh, sad. If there is anything you want me to get for you while we're still here,let me know!

ollie said...

Hey Emily! I found your website through Heather B's. Glad to see you're back in Kentucky! What took you to Germany in the first place?? Anyway, hope all is well and maybe we'll see you around. From the sound of where you live, it seems like you live in the 1st ward boundaries. We are in 1st ward, but we are serving in the spanish branch right now. Anyway, glad to have you back!!!