Saturday, July 25, 2009

Handy, Crafty, and Good Looking

Kade got it all when he got me.
When our furniture finally arrived at our new home, the first thing I wanted to to was to get the washer and dryer up and running. We had a ton of laundry to do, and I so did not want to go back to the Laundromat. The movers put the washer and dryer up in the laundry room and besides needing a new hot water hose for the washer, this is what I find:

The plug to the dryer


The outlet for the plug


Hmmm. Where's my team of rocket scientists when I need them. Fortunately, I went to the hardware store, and after some not so great advice from a 19 year old who knew, mayhaps, less than I did about electricity, I found a nice, older gentleman who instructed me on how to change the plug on my dryer. After a long phone call to my dad and a lot of worrying (am I going to get electrocuted, is my house going to burn down...etc.) I got it changed and in working condition.

I pride myself on my handiness.
Since my boxes got unpacked and my pictures hung up, I needed something to do at nights, so I found some really great tutorials online for some really cute bags. I need more bags like I need a Snuggie (useful...but unnecessary) but I wanted to see if I could make something nice. My first bag was this, and you can find the tutorial here.

I LOVE how it turned out, and since Ailee is requiring less stuff to lug around, and also, my old diaper bag was being held together in spots by duct tape, it is my new diaper bag. The instructions are great and very detailed and it took me 4 hours from start to finish. I did change the inside a bit. Instead of one little pocket, I did two big pockets . And, I found a new material to sew with: Canvas. Have you ever sewn canvas, 'cause it is wonderful?!
My next project is actually a present for my sister, who is having a baby this fall. So, Erica, if you are reading this, "SURPRISE!!!" This diaper bag, which you can find the instructions for here, turned out pretty nice. There are a few minor flaws, mostly cosmetic, because I am an impatient seamstress, and think that pinning things together before you sew them is for losers. But, it's a great bag with lots of pockets. I did use a nylon lining instead of vinyl (which I couldn't find) like it calls for, and fusible fleece instead of regular interfacing (it makes it more sturdy and soft). This bag was not nearly as easy as the first, and took me the span of several days to complete. I like how it turned out and hope it holds up past the first month of use.
I've got lots of other projects lined up, so I am sure you will hear about those at some point.
Maryn is very big in to taking pictures these days. It's interesting to see what she deems as picture worthy. I guess we just have different ideas of beauty.

Kade is such lucky man.

8 comments:

Laura Jansson said...

You never cease to amaze me, Em! I love both bags!! Nice job!

Mbeth said...

had the same problem in our last apartment. luckily mike's brother is an electrician so i didn't have to find the Frank in me to get our washer and dryer going. but good work. dad should be proud. see you in a few days!!

Collette and Kevin said...

you go girl! i hope i can find a handy, crafty, good looking friend like you in tucson when we move back so i can glean from her talents like i did with you while you were here!! :-) the bags are adorable. if you ever get the hankerin' to make one for me...i'd not be passin' that up!! anyways, glad you didn't get electrocuted...not sure i'd be brave enough to do that one on my own!!

Jessie said...

Great job! I too hate to pin things before I sew them and I think that is why I spend a lot of time unpicking what I have already sewn! I am not as daring as you to take on a diaper bag, but I did make a nursing cover! Turned out okay but I think I need to make another to take care of the mistakes!

Darci said...

You are so freakin' funny! I just love to read your words of wisdom...and HOLY SEAMSTRESS!!! Seriously, did I miss out on the sewing class at Ricks, or what?! So...do you want to make me one or what? I could tell you some secrets about Denver for payment! LOL! I miss Denver SOO much! I would move back in a heart beat! The thunderstorms were my favorite.

Roundy Clan said...

I want to try and make a hand bag so when I saw this blog I got excited. I have to say Em that I wished we lived close to each other. I think we would be good friends. Your blog cracked me up!

bbcurfew said...

Crazy! If only you had called us about the dryer issue.. We had the exact opposite problem! Luckily Brandon is amazing like you- because I sure didn't know what to do! Hope you're enjoying Denver! I'm in town for a week so I'll be thinking of you guys!

Janelle said...

Em-
Your talents never fail to impress me. Seriously, I don't know what impresses me more---your bravery or your sweet skills! Miss you!