Friday, September 10, 2010

Crafty....or Crappy

My last month seems to have disappeared. I'm not quite sure why it slipped by so fast, but at least I have a few finished projects to show for it. As always, some of it turned out crappy, some of it I really like.
First I made a new shower curtain for the girls' bathroom. We had this cheap-o rubber duck one that I always hated, and well, it had to go. Unfortunately, I could never find one that I liked, and in the right colors so I didn't have to change my mats and towels, too. It's so trivial, I know, but it's just how the decorating area of my brain works. So, I decided to make my own, which was surprisingly easy. All it required was sewing some straight lines, and 12 button holes. Oh, and a little hint I found on the internet, should you sew your own shower curtain, is to sew a few pennies into the bottom, to weigh it down. I was glad I did that. I do wish it weren't so boring. It's a cute print, but I've seen cuter shower curtains. I'm afraid this project is right on the line between crafty and crappy. I hope that some day I will add a cute row of fabric flowers to jazz it up a bit. For now, it's up.

I finally finished my diaper bag. Most of the votes for the fabric were for this one, so I went with it.
It turned out ok. I'm hoping that once it's filled with stuff, it will be a little bit more sturdy. I used plenty of interfacing, but my lining was really thin. We'll see. I had some left over fabric, so I made a diaper carrier (it holds a few diapers and a small thing of wipes so I can grab them quick), and a changing pad....which was totally crappy. I forgot how hard it is to sew vinyl. And bias tape--that stuff makes me want to swear.
Ok, now I'm moving on to my favorites. Yay!
A while back, my friend was over working on a project with me. She too, was preggo (she's since had her baby), and started talking about this idea called a "push present." Basically, a gift a husband should buy for his pregnant wife for poppin' out a baby. I quite liked the idea of buying myself....I mean, Kade buying me....a present. I'd been eyeing the new Silhouette machines, and felt like it would improve my quality of life. A week and a half later, I had my new Silhouette all set up and ready to go. Now, when I was pregnant with Ailee, I copied somebody else's idea off the internet to make some pictures for her room. They were only ok, but I have my cool new machine now, and decided to make them look spectacular:
I am very pleased with the outcome. Here's a closeup of one of the little birdies.

Needless to say, I am in love with my new silhouette. I think I will get my money's worth out of it.
I saved the best for last. I love how this project turned out. A while back, I'd found one of those snuggly little zip up covers for a car seat at a yard sale. I had a boyish blue print for the fabric, so I decided to recover it. Here is my finished product:

This is what you can do with a 2$ find at a yard sale, a yard of fabric, a zipper, and some bias tape (yuck). I love how snuggly and warm it looks....I just need a cute little baby to fill it up, now!

5 comments:

The Grows said...

With the way your background is missing it took a really long time to read this. But that is okay, your pojects looked so crafty. I love them all. Epecially the pictures. Too cute. You always make the cutest funnest stuff, I am totally jealous.

Chelsea said...

Your projects turned out really great! I love the fabric you used on your diaper bag. Everything is so cute! You always amaze me with your creativity!!!

Mbeth said...

i don't see a single crappy thing there. well done. i'm extra impressed with the recovering of the baby snuggly thingy. not that i could have done any of the other stuff either.

Roundy Clan said...

Um I am SO jealous that you got a Silhouette! So when can I come visit and use it?! haha Can't wait to see your baby and your purse came out WAY cute

Laura Jansson said...

There is nothing crappy posted here! You always impress me with your work :) I love the idea to put pennies in the bottom of the shower curtain.