Sunday, October 14, 2007

Pumpkin Pickin'

Well, Halloween is just around the corner, folks, and you know what that means! Pumpkins!!! So this weekend our little Roundy Family drove up to Huber's Family Farm in beautiful Starlight, Indiana to find the perfect pumpkin. The weather was really nice, and after sucking down over-priced smoothies and oreo ice cream, we hopped on a trailer to go out to the pumpkin fields.
As we climbed off the trailer, the stench of rotten pumpkin flesh filled our noses, and straightway I turned over "the one" only to find my hand was now covered in pumpkin guts. Ewww. Pumkin leaves make OK napkins, but they would not make good toilet paper. Very prickly. We quickly moved on, scouring the fields for a nice round pumpkin. Actually, I scoured and Kade fiddled with our new video camera (my b-day present with Kade's name on it). Atlast, I finally found a pumpkin that was mostly round and not molding. It must have been someone else's reject because it had already been picked and was sitting there looking lonely and sad, like it needed a good home. So, after I decided I didn't want to walk any further and nothing better turned up, it became "THE PERFECT PUMPKIN!!!" (imagine that said over a loud speaker that echoes a little bit) Here I am with our pumpkin...cute, isn't he?
After we found "THE PERFECT PUMPKIN!!!" (again with the speaker) we decided to head back. Maryn was having serious meltdowns at that point (it was waaaaaay past nap time...watch the first two videos below) and I really wanted to wash my hands. So we got back on a trailer and rode back to the store to pay. Here is where I need to stand up on my soap box. I don't know how these people sleep at night. First, we buy their very expensive snacks. And, don't get me started on the "craft shop" (stuff made in China with a hefty price tag). But then, they make us walk through fields of muck and carry our own heavy, kinda warty, and maybe not so perfect pumpkin. By the time we make it back to the register, we are dirty, hungry, and tired...so they charge us $9 for "the experience." Are we suckers or what? Well, we showed them. After they took our money, we left. And, about a mile and a half down the road, we saw some people selling pumpkins in a wagon off to the side. We paid $3 for two very nice pumpkins. Take that, Joe Huber!!
Alright, alright. I won't complain. It was really fun, and Maryn liked the wagon ride. It was worth it. But I do think they should reconsider their business ethics.
That was our day at Huber's farm. Enjoy the videos below. For some reason, Maryn throwing tantrums is really funny on video...not so much in real time.





9 comments:

ollie said...

My favorite is when you guys were introducing your pumpkin baby and totally having fun with it while ignoring your whining kid in the background. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that...

Dani said...

You seriously tell the best stories! I love them! I laughed my way through the whole thing, and I have to agree with Ollie, I too tend to ignore whining children at certain moments. So did you even get the perfect pumpkin at the farm experience, or did you toss it on the "made in China" craft sale table and buy your two off the wagon down the road? I'm leaning toward the foam pumpkins at Michaels...they won't rot! Woo hoo!

Kade and Emily said...

You know, I used to judge people who ignored their whining/screaming kids. No longer. I applaude them for not beating them.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how a child changes your perspective? ;)

Jessie said...

Oh, how I miss Huber Farms in the Fall. We now get our pumpkins hand delivered from my Stepdad. Thank goodness. Not quite as much fun, but I still haven't found anywhere close by that has the same kind of experience available.

Ben and Krystal said...

How fun! I miss pumpkin patches. I don't think they exist here in Germany.... We sure miss you guys!

Brady and Kariann said...

I linked over to your blog from Pat and Jessie's. You sure do tell a good story :) We had fun hanging out at Huber's with you guys! Thanks.

Laura Jansson said...

Emily! Sounds like so much fun! I need you to teach me how to do all this fun stuff on my blog! Your blog is so fancy! :) Let's get together soon....

Anonymous said...

Hey Em,

I have about 10 pumpkins that we grew ourselves sitting on our porch. I would have sold them to you for a buck each. I'd even throw in the ones with faces already drawn on them for free.