Friday, October 26, 2007

Trying to Develope My Creative Side

For my birthday, I bought myself this great, cool, fancy, new sewing machine. Oh yeah, and it's neat, too. I bought a computerized one, well because, high-tech is better and I was feeling really old due to the fact that: A) I was buying a sewing machine, B) I just turned 27 (this was a particularly hard birthday for me) and C) lately I've noticed these huge bags under my eyes that no makeup in the world will ever cover up. The fact that it was "high-tech" made me not feel so old. My self esteem is worth the extra $50. (I got it on sale!!! Yeah for bargain hunters!!) Anywho, I did all my research, mostly online 'cause...we are living in a high-tech world, and I am a high-tech girl, and I decided that this was the one for me. So, I ordered it and it promptly shipped...thank goodness I don't have to wait 6 weeks for boxes anymore! I set it all up (took it out of the box) and got really excited at how pretty and white it was, but it turned out the only thing I needed to sew was a ripped seam on Maryn's blanket.
Well, I couldn't buy this expensive machine, then let it collect dust. That would be wrong! I needed a good project to do, so the sewing maching could feel like it fulfilled it's purpose in life...then I could let it collect dust. Fortunately for me, I received my Martha Stewart magazine in the mail. I found this great idea and I did it. Yes, I know, they are goofy coasters. And some of you may know that I've done a "coaster project" before. So, now I just have many coasters. What can I say, I hate water rings on my coffee table--they don't go well with the huge gashes Maryn has inflicted with her toys. Just kidding. Here are some pictures of my fabulous handy work. Please, "Ooooh" and "Ahhhhh" over it.
Here are the three different fabrics I used. A 1/4 yard of fabric made 8 coasters. The red swirlies and the stripes I sent to my sister. Though I rarely....well, never....send out birthday presents, much to her misfortune it was her birthday, and I needed a reason to make them.

An up close shot of the details. It's almost too exciting!

And, an action shot(with my favorite mug). I have actually used them...and so has Maryn. They are fun to give rides to in her choo choo train.

4 comments:

Laura Jansson said...

I love them! I'd like to order a set of them, please! :) Hehe... we missed you lots the other day, I'm sorry you were sick :( We'll have to plan another get together soon... I want some of that chicken salad you were talking about! And I'll bring something, too. :)

ollie said...

ooooooooooohhh!!!


aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Allison said...

Verry Nice! I was hoping to see a pic of the actual machine, though.

Ben and Krystal said...

I love how you are feeling old so you buy a sewing machine on purpose! I thought you are supposed to buy sports cars when you are feeling old?
ps cute coasters- they'll make up for the one or two old ones I know my boys destroyed =)