One Last Project
I was looking for a dresser for our bedroom for months. When we moved into our house here, we decided to grow up and ditch the plastic drawers we had been using as dressers since we got married. Someone gave us a dresser to put in Maryn's new room, so we were able to use the dresser that went with our baby furniture for the last year. Well, for obvious reasons, we now needed that dresser in the baby's room. I had searched craig's list, the paper, yard sales, Ikea and any other store online that I could think of. Everything was A) too dumpy B) too expensive or C) both.
Finally the weekend before Ailee came I had decided that Saturday was my last chance to find anything. I was driving through a neighborhood near our home on my way to a furniture store and saw a sign for a street-wide yard sale. Being the kind of person that just can't pass up a bargain, I had to drive through. Lo and behold...the very first house I came to had this beauty:
It was initially priced for $30, but as soon as I showed interest in it, the lady selling it offered it to me for $20. I told her I would take it and that I needed to find someone to haul it to our house. Much to my pleasure, she said they had a truck and could bring it to us. What nice people!!
The dresser itself is in pretty decent shape. It had some dings and was well used and out of date, but it's very solid and well built. The hardware was straight out of 1977--
But, that was fixable with some wood filler and a trip to Lowes. First I primed it with a gray primer (which was an awesome tip from the paint guy at Lowes).
Then I painted it black and antiqued the edges. I was very very pleased with the outcome. Ta-da!!
I love how it looks in our bedroom. Plus, it has more room than our last dresser.
I had to bust a move on this project. Ailee was scheduled to enter our lives on Wednesday, so I only had Monday and Tuesday to get it all done. It felt SO good to have it completed. It was one of the last things I had to get crossed off my list before I could feel ready to have my baby. I can't believe how perfectly it worked out in every way!
8 comments:
Oh my gosh it looks gorgeous! Well done! Can you find one for my room too?! :)
hey way to go. that looks really awesome. if it were me, I would just think about painting it and it would still looked dinged up and old...kinda like the kitchen table i am sitting at at this very moment.
all i have to say is "wow"!! you are superwoman. the dresser looks amazing. good for you. i love bargains too!
You never cease to amaze.... I think the best part is that you did all of that in the few days before your birthed A CHILD! You would have been a wonderful pioneer ;]
Since you did such a fantastic job on that dresser, I need some hints and tips -- I want to paint ours a nice rich brown to go with our celery walls -- did you sand before priming? And was the black paint a satin/matte/or gloss? I LOVE the look you did! Beautiful and it looks better than anything from Pottery Barn! :)
Very impressive! I wish I thought that way. I never would have thought to repaint a dresser.
That's so cool, I'm with whoever dani is... you never cease to amaze me! It looks awesome!!! Way to go, girl. Let me know when you feel up to it, I'd love to come and meet Ailee :)
Awesome job! It looks like something straight out of a catalog! Amazing!
Great Job! You are so good with projects. I really do need to live across the street from you so it might rub a little off on me.
Post a Comment