I have a good group of friends I am surrounded by here. Most of us are stay at home moms who spend most of our time making our kids and husbands happy, so it's nice to get away for a bit, and have Girls' Nights. It's a chance for us to unwind a bit, have some adult conversation (even if most of the times is spent talking about the crazy things our kids do), and it usually involves good food. Basically it helps us recharge our batteries so that we are strong enough to continue the war on tantrums, picky eaters and child induced disasters.
A few weeks ago, my friend Sarah, called me up with a great idea for a Girls' Night. Well, actually a Girls' Morning. Back when I was a teenager, my mom used to invite all the youth in our area to our house on a Saturday morning, and make fresh, hot doughnuts. She always had homemade chocolate and maple frostings to dip them in, too. Over the years it became a tradition to have "Doughnut Days." Whether it was a ploy to keep us all preoccupied and out of the kind of trouble teenagers get into, or not, I'm not sure. But if it was, it may have worked. Doughnut Days were definitely something to look forward to.
Sarah and I decided to put on a Doughnut Day for the gals. I was a little nervous at first...I had some big shoes to fill. My mom is one of those people, where everything she makes turns out delicious and pretty. I am not. My breads don't raise, I can burn soup, and broiling=black and crispy. But, practice makes perfect, so I thought I could give it a try. I called up my mom, got the recipe, and a whole bunch of tips. The outcome: Very good! The first couple of frying sessions produced fairly dark, flat doughnuts, but once I figured it out, they turned out pretty yummy. I was a little shocked, but pleased.
It turned out to be a fun morning, I hope the other girls had fun, too. In fact, I hope to do it again, just to see if I can make them again. I did have one incident.
Oil+Heat+Splashing=
So worth it.
5 comments:
Okay, seriously...I was JUST thinking about donut day like an hour ago. I was craving a good "Corey" donut and then I pull up your blog and your making them....wish I was there!!!
Ooh, ooh! K, invite me next time. :) Hee hee. Glad they turned out so yummy! Wanna plan another birthday lunch with Becca? Her bday is soon... just a thought :)
I may steal your idea, or mom's and use that for our YW here! Sorry about the burn.
So miss doughnut day!!! Good times!
i'm so glad you decided to carry on your mom's tradition because i had a great time. it definitely is so nice to get away for a little bit here and there and recharge, just like you said. i don't know what i'd do without this awesome group of gals we've got here. we're sure going to miss you guys come may! :-(
Post a Comment