Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I Need Some Opinions

I have this console. It's a pretty cheap piece of furniture (I put it together, myself), but I like it. We bought it a long time ago, but I have never done anything to it, and it has remained unfinished. Initially I wanted to stain it because I prefer the wood grain to paint. However, I don't feel like making a trip to Lowe's, and I don't want to pay for stain and sealer, and I don't want to deal with the mess and it's clean up. Well, I do have a can of primer and black paint left over from when I painted our bedroom dresser. Should I:
A: Put the extra effort, time, and $$$ into it. It's such a shame to paint wood.
OR
B: Just paint it black and be done. I have kids and they will probably just destroy it anyway...I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

13 comments:

Darci said...

Oooh! Looks good! I say go black. I am such a fan of black furniture and I think it would go great with your window treatments. I love the curtains! I also think it would be a good accent to your baskets and other brown decor. Plus, it sounds like it would be cheaper and easier!

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I think a dark stain would look the best. But your dresser looks great, so painting it black might look nice, too!

Dani said...

Oh, I totally think you should paint it - I love the dresser. In fact, I'm gearing up to start following in your footsteps in a couple weeks and I could use your advice. I might be calling you! AND -- I tried changing the font color and the date still didn't show up. Help?? :)

Allison said...

I kinda like the idea of staining it. I don't think it would have as much charm with paint.

Collette and Kevin said...

paint it. your dresser looks amazing and so will this!

Mbeth said...

if it were me i wouldn't do anything to it. im just that lazy and procrastinatative.

Jessie said...

I think the contrast of stain with your floors would make it stand out for sure. But I know from experience that staining furniture is a pain!

Ben and Krystal said...

black.

Anonymous said...

MLE- Go black.
MB- I don't think "procrastinatative " is a word! Do you have different dictionary than me!!!!

Julie said...

I love the all natural look, but that's just my style. Take the easy way out!

Ben and Krystal said...

I just read your car review to the right and know the answer is the Office of course. What do I win?
PS: If the table is sanded, you could take the paint in a sponge or rage and LIGHTLY rub the paint on it while wiping off excess- it will make it black but still show grain. I did that with my magnet board and it turned out cute.

Ben and Krystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wilkes said...

Claudia Sanders Dinner House is about 10 miles past the 265 on the 64. I think it's in a town called Simpsonville.