Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Rather Slippery Evening

Saturday night, we joined up with some friends to go ice skating. The last time I went ice skating was almost 5 years ago (I was about 6 months pregnant with Maryn), and before that, it was probably 6 years since I'd hit the ice. Needless to say, my ice skating skillz are lacking. I've always heard that when a moose runs, it looks rather unnatural and awkward. That's the only image I could think as I made my way around the rink with Maryn attached to my arm, as I'm sure that's what we resembled. Despite the slipping and falling (by everyone else, of course), we had a great time. I was surprised at how comfortable Maryn was with sliding around. I thought it would scare the bajeebers out of her, but she loved it. They even had caution cones for the little ones to use for balance. A little goofy, but effective.
My favorite part of the evening was as I was skating around with Maryn she exclaimed, loudly, "I love ice skating!!" Everyone around us got a kick out of her enthusiasm for her new found adventure. After a while, she even got brave enough to leave the caution cone and skate on her own. (And by skating, I mean walking with ice skates on.)


Even Ailee got to join in on the fun. She didn't have skates (could you imagine a size 3 skate??), so she just walked along with our hands. There was quite a bit of protesting when we exited the rink.

It was a pretty fun way to spend a chilly evening. We ended it with warm soup, hot chocolate, games, and good company. I don't think I could've asked for anything more.

2 comments:

Laura Jansson said...

How fun! I've always wanted to ice skate outdoors.... I love that Maryn loved it so much. I'll have to take Bethany some day. She talks about ice skating a lot ever since she saw kids ice skate on Sesame Street. Anyway... Merry Christmas! Miss you!

Allison said...

What fun. You guys are really settling into your new cold way of life. Do you think we'll be able to too?