Sunday, March 07, 2010

The Game Everyone Should Know

So, as I mentioned in my last post, I just spent a week at my sister's house, taking care of her kids, while she was on vacation. For Family Home Evening on Monday night, I decided to skip the fuddy-dud lessons (we did sing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam," though....that's a little bit spiritual) and taught the kids a game I know well from my youth. It's called the flour game. I'm sure lots of you out there have played this before, but I had the joy of introducing it to my sister's kids, which put me high on their list of fun, favorite people. Yay!
How do you play, you ask? First, you get a penny (wash it, please) and put it in the bottom of a tall cup. Next, you pack the cup, tightly, with flour. Place a plate over the top and flip the whole thing over. Remove the cup. You should have a nice tower of flour with a penny on top. You each take turns cutting the flour tower with a knife, from the top all the way to the bottom--
--and whoever makes the penny fall, has to get it out of the pile of flour with their teeth. Mmmmm. Go play it, make a mess, it's fun!
Here's everyone in their moment of glory:

Hudson

Maddi
Cam
Savannah
Maryn chose not to go digging, so instead, she got a floury kiss
As the game came to a close, we all realized that two people hadn't had the wonderful opportunity to go digging for the penny: Austin and Marybeth (my little sister). They must have amazing knife skillz. Naturally, we had to have a death match. When I pulled the cup off, half of the flour fell, so the penny was hanging rather precariously off the edge:

[Dun Dun Dun] that's my menacing music
Austin, the final loser:

And in the winner, Mmmmmmaaaaaarybeth!

Ah, good times. I love that game. It sure does make a mess, and somehow we all ended up with the same cold, but boy it was worth it to see everyone gag on the globs of flour.
The little babies weren't allowed to play, due to their lack of fine motor skills, so they entertained themselves by playing the piano, stealing toys from each other, and once by falling off the piano bench.
Ailee showing off her musical talents Johnny (Marybeth's little boy--probably taking notes from his cousin on how to be a stinker)

3 comments:

ollie said...

lol!!! You are hilarious! I remember playing that game at Ricks and it was hilarious. I just never considered playing with kids. You are my hero!

Mbeth said...

where's your flour face picture? do you want to email me these pictures? you do, don't you. well ok then, go ahead and send them my way.

Laura Jansson said...

I remember playing that so many times at your house! I love that you taught the kids to play it! So fun :)