Friday, March 05, 2010

Tales of a Road Warrior

So, I realize it's been quite a while since I've posted. My sister, Jill, had an opportunity to take a vacation to Miami with her husband, but she needed someone to watch her kids. I was the chosen one.
It turned out to be a good week. Admittedly, I was a little nervous at first. It was me against 7 kids--but it turned out to be just fine. They were all good, the older ones helped a lot, and my own two kids were the most trouble. And, if you think about it, it's like I'm racking up points for the future, when someday I want to take a nice quiet vacation.
I decided to drive, since it was just to Utah. It's actually a pretty drive between Denver and my sister's house. Lots of mountains and pretty landscape...but mountains mean snow and twisty roads. Let's see, the drive there: I-70 was snowy. Oh, and what should have taken me an hour through the mountains took 3, because there was an avalanche the night before, and the road was blocked. I hate traffic. At least the weather cleared when I reached Hwy 6. That's where I was most nervous about snow. I think the worst part of the drive, though, was just after Grand Junction. The girls had just finished watching a movie, and I decided not to stop for lunch. Instead, I gave the girls fruit and cheese and crackers that I had packed. About 20 minutes later, Ailee throws up curdled milk, grapes, cheese and crackers all over. She wasn't so sad about throwing up, but she was pretty upset that there was gross vomit all over her shirt. It doesn't get much better than cleaning up a vomitty child, and car seat in the the middle of a snow storm, on the side of the interstate.
Now the drive back: Thankfully, the weather was much better. I thought it would be ok to let Maryn watch a movie while we were on a straight stretch of road. She hadn't taken her Dramamine yet, because I usually wait until we go through the twisty part of the drive. In almost the exact spot as Ailee's incident, on the opposite side of the interstate, Maryn says, "Mom, I think I'm going to throw up." I had just enough time to pull over, climb out and open her door, and watch her throw up all down her shirt and car seat. Sigh.
This is my official declaration--
My children are forever banned from watching movies in a moving vehicle.
I blame Kade for this hereditary gene. I think I've only ever been car sick twice in my life. Will I ever have a kid that has my stomach of steel?

4 comments:

Mbeth said...

ew.

but glad you made it back alright.

Allison said...

I am glad it was a good time, except for the car sickness. We've definitely had our moments dealing with that too. I'm so jealous that you again got to go to Utah. Oh well, maybe someday.

Roundy Clan said...

So what do you do with Ailee and the car sickness? I think Kayla has it too but I figured she was too young for drugs to deal with it. Just curious. She has grown up curdled milk and yogurt three times since starting on whole milk in the car and every time was earlier in the morning. Darn Roundy weak stomachs! haha

pinkfrostycookies said...

You are the best sister! Good job earning points for your future vacation. You should consider England...I think that is where we are headed next.