Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On My Mind

So, I'm a list person. When I feel like I have too much to do, or I'm stressed out, I make lists. Often I'll wake up at night thinking about something, and I can't go back to sleep unless I write it down. A little bit crazy...I know.
Since I've come home from vacation, I feel like I've spent the last week playing catch up. [or if I were a tomato, I would be playing "ketchup"....snicker] I think it's because my vacation was the "next big thing," and I kept telling myself that I would get certain things done after my vacation. Well, now that it's over, the "next big thing" is the baby, and suddenly 15 and 1/2 weeks doesn't sound like very much time to accomplish all the big projects that I "must do." [translation: drive myself crazy with] So, here is my TO DO list of all the little nit-picky things I feel like I need to get done today and all the big projects, and just to make myself feel a little bit better, my DONE list:

TO DO:
1. Shop for, and buy a cute, fluffy rocking chair for the nursery like the one I fell in love with at Babies R Us, and not pay an arm and a leg.
2. Call my hospital and arrange for payment of the birth of baby #3. Ah, the joys of not having maternity coverage. *DONE*
3. Get pictures from our family vacation organized and cds made to send out to everyone. This would actually be pretty easy, except our computer sucks at burning cds. It took a day and a half to burn one. One. *DONE*
4. Do a blog post(s) about our vacation. Actually, lets just change this one to "be better at blogging."
5. Make a new duvet cover and pillows for my bed, and new curtains from my room. (Since I don't have to remake the baby's room, I'm remaking mine this time! yay!) This would require me to be able to escape my children for more than 30 minutes for some quality time at the fabric store, which leads me to the next one:
6. Teach my children that running, screaming, acting like various animals, and spitting is not appropriate behavior at the craft store. *sigh*
7. Teach myself that yelling at my kids to behave isn't very appropriate, either. I'm often reminded of my favorite scene from the movie "Ms. Doubtfire."


Sometimes I feel like I am "that mom."


8. Let's just go with teach my children manners in general. I feel like I have failed miserably.
9. Buy fabric (see #5) and make an apron for a birthday present. *DONE*
10. Make two sets of cards for card club. *In progress*
11. Deliver bread to my Visiting Teachees...because I am totally a slacker visiting teacher. *DONE*
12. Do something fun with my kids. I've been dragging them to stores all week. *DONE*
13. Vacuum the upstairs. *DONE--but needs to be done, again*
14. Dust my house. Ugh, I hate dusting. *still waiting for that special moment*
15. Be more sociable with people in our ward. Ex: inviting them over for dinner, going to the park, etc. *DONE*
16. Do something nice for somebody else. Earlier this summer, I made a goal to just do something nice for somebody else each week...I have failed terribly.
17. Test drive a million different cars, only to decide that I'll just go with the Honda Odyssey like everyone else. Buy car.
18. Make that awful transition for Ailee, from crib to bed. *Working on it--I might go crazy*
19. Mow the lawn and pull up those 1+ foot weeds in the back yard before the HOA slaps us with a fine. *Pulled a few weeds, does that count?*
20. Take nap. *Always need another*

Yep, I think that's all. Now the good list.

DONE:

1. Shopped for and purchased new bed and mattress for the girls' room. I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I think. It gets delivered on Friday. Oh, one more thing to do--assemble bed. *DONE*
2. Vacuumed downstairs.
3. Swept and mopped a very gross kitchen floor.
4. Made bread to take over to my Visiting Teachees.
5. Put up new towel rack in my bathroom, and patched up the gaping hole in the wall left from tearing off the old one...which broke.
6. Found cute new sheets for the girls' beds, so they can be all matchy-matchy.
7. Made a bunch of cute necklaces that my sister taught me how to make from washers. They may only be cute to me, because I spent so much time making them.
8. Cleaned/sanitized a really grody bathroom after Maryn's bout with a stomach bug last week.
9. Finally cleaned the oven yesterday. It's just too bad I made pizza last night, a small portion of which has been baked onto the bottom of a once clean oven.
10. Scored a cute car seat that goes with my stroller on a clearance rack. Saved an additional $25!
11. Helped Maryn set up her Mini Hotwheels city that she bought at a garage sale a while back. There were a lot of parts, and it took an afternoon. Even though it takes up a lot of room on her floor, I'm letting her leave it up until we get her bed delivered...I don't want to have to set it up again anytime soon.
12. I've been really good at de-cluttering/organizing (nesting, really) my house.
13. Had dreams of getting my scrapbooking up to date.
14. Made cute little handouts for all the teachers in Primary. They say, "You are o-'FISH'-ally the best!" on a tag attached to a bag of swedish fish. mmm.
15. Unpacked, did laundry, and restocked kitchen after vacation.

Wow, in my head, my DONE list sounded much better. I guess I better stop messing around on the computer. I think the first thing I should accomplish on my TO DO list is #20.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I love "done" lists. I do them too sometimes. I also love the one about "dreaming the scrapbook was done", Does that mean it isn't done? You're so lucky to be living somewhere with shopping choices to be able to find your carseat on sale. I guess it's my turn to live in outerspace, isn't it.

Mbeth said...

i wish my done list looked anything as good as yours. im such a slacker. good work on scoring the good deals and good luck with all your projects. oh, and im sorry to hear that maryn fell to the corey family reunion stomach flu.

Darci said...

Baby # 3??? Congrats! I am so excited for you! Do you know what you are having? What is your due date? So far my little boy just sleeps all the time. (except of course at night)...You'll be a great mommy of 3 beautiful kiddos!

Janelle said...

I have to agree that lists are the best way to keep the stress in check. And putting that little *done* checkmark feels oh so good!
I'm impressed with everything you've gotten done---pregnant and busy with 2 kids. You go girl!