We started off our first day in town, where we walked around and window shopped. Mostly it was just over priced tourist crap...but, what else would you expect? There was a cute little bridge where we stopped to take a few pictures.
Then, we found a little lunch, and some ice cream for dessert.
With full bellies, we headed up to the park, and took the scenic highway. Here are some of the views we liked the best:
I just love the color of fall aspen trees in contrast to the pines.
I find I never put pictures of myself on the blog. I liked this one of Ailee--I'm looking a little wind-blown here.
After some research I discovered this little bird is called a Ptarmigan.
I had to snap this picture from my car window as we drove. It was a straight shot down from the edge of the highway. You loose a little bit of the effect, but it was a tad nerve racking to only be feet away from a long plummet down the side of a mountain.

A cute one of Maryn at Dream Lake
We did manage to make it all the way up, where we destroyed the serenity of the moment for everyone else with Ailee's screaming after she fell and skinned her knees. Fortunately, there was a nice man there with a big band aid (or "sticker" if you are 2 years old) to help us out. We were just a little bit too late, and the sun was hiding behind the mountains, so we weren't able to see just how emerald Emerald Lake is--but it was still very pretty. It is definitely a hike I would recommend. Maybe not 8 months preggo, though.
It turned out that our next day (Saturday) was a free day at the park, so we decided to avoid all the traffic and just take the shuttle in. About 10 minutes into our bus ride, I realized I left our camera in the car. D'oh! I wanted to kick myself. All we had was Kade's IPhone to take pictures with. I was so disappointed because it was SO beautiful! We hiked up to Emerald Lake and back. For most people, the hike I'm sure took about an hour or so. But for a very pregnant woman, a 5 and a 2 year old, (it was up hill most of the way, too!) it took a few hours. It was totally worth it! It was a great hike.
Stopping for a family photo
A cute one of Maryn at Dream Lake
It was a fun weekend. I hope to make it a yearly trek during the fall season. The temps were perfect and the changing trees were so pretty.
One last family shot
4 comments:
Great pictures. It looks like it was a great birthday for you. Happy birthday! We REALLY want to come visit you guys sometime. I have never been to Colorado. It looks gorgeous
Happy 30th Emily!! The 30's really aren't so bad. Looks like you had a fun birthday weekend. Good luck with the last few weeks of your pregnancy, hope it all goes well!
Hiking like that being 8 months preggo? You deserve an award! Way to go! I miss those Colorado mountains. They are beautiful. A mini van??? Seriously?? Just kidding, they are super nice and soo convenient. They know what kids need....and more importantly us moms! I love that you named it Homer. I had the cutest 95 year old neighbor that just passed away in July. Good ol' Homer. Miss you!
Awww, Em. You're making me homesick for the mountains! Love the pictures.
Post a Comment