Saturday, September 10, 2011

Butterflies, Brave Girls, and Hikers

I admit: I have been a blog slacker lately. But, with all the stresses that come with packing and moving, I believe I have valid reasoning.


So, I will continue on about our visit from my little sister last month.


After hearing so much from friends about the Butterfly Pavilion in Denver, I thought a trip there was in order. We weren't disappointed. It was pretty cool to walk around the butter fly room and be surrounded by little (and some very big) fluttery wings.However, I think the most beautiful butterflies were the ones I brought with me:

I think the coolest highlight of our excursion was how brave Maryn was to hold Rosie, the tarantula:I get the heeby-jeebies just looking at the picture of the giant hairy spider. Let's hope we don't come across any of those when we move to Texas. Maryn may have to be my official spider killer.


On Saturday, we loaded everyone up and made the 3 hour drive out to Glenwood Springs to do a bit of hiking. I'd seen pictures, and heard about the Hanging Lake hike from several people, so I felt the need to check it off of my list before we made our exit from Colorado. I'm glad we had the Sanders Family to share that strenuous, sweaty, exhausting experience with.




Group photo before we got REALLY sweaty:Much of the hike was a lot like this: Well, except the way down...it was much easier.




Luckily, Marybeth and I made sure to bring our pack mules along to carry the extra cargo:




They were VERY good sports about it. Kade and Mike--you are very manly men.




The sweat, the tired jelly legs, and the whiney kids were all worth it for views like this:
This:
And mostly this:
The crystal clear water was ice cold and so refreshing after that difficult hike. We spent about an hour just soaking our feet in the water, and watching people fall in when they tried to walk out on the dead tree in the water. Even Ailee tried to make a run for it down the tree.

Maryn was our best trooper, and did the hike all by herself. I'm just glad we had a nice big lake to wash her face off in:
Ailee....well she's three, so naturally she wanted to be carried during the flat parts of the hike, and wouldn't hold any one's hand while we walked down the steep, jagged, deadly steps. It all turned out alright, though.




And of course little Cora, was just happy to be along for the ride.We had a great time with the Sanders. It's always fun to have cousins and sisters to do fun things with. Plus, we lucked out, and didn't have to make the 8 hour car ride. Score!

1 comment:

Roundy Clan said...

Glad you had those strong manly men to help you! Beautiful pictures!