Let me preface this a bit: Many, many years ago, I was in High School. I recall having received the necessary paper work to fill out for our next semester's classes. Sitting amongst a few friends I proposed the idea of adding Workshop to my class schedule.
I was mocked.
A lot.
I get it. Wood shop was probably full of cocaine sniffing, scary guys, who had nothing better to do than to take out their aggression on helpless 2x4s. But still, I was very interested in building things. I LOVE to create things. I don't know if it's all in the thrill of actually using my brain tissue or just keeping my hands busy, but I like to make crap. And sometimes that's all it is....crap. But, sometimes it actually turns out kinda cute, and I really like that part.
So, here, at the fine, who-cares-what-others-think-about-my-lame-hobbies age of 31, I decided to take up wood working. Shortly after we moved to San Antonio, I splurged on a couple of saws and other wood working equipment, and found a great website to guide me. Get ready for it people, because
VOILA!
My creations:
Number One: My first project was a bookshelf. We had just moved into our newer, bigger house, and I needed something to fill it up. Upstairs we have a big open room that is perfect for toys, computer desks, and a big, lonely bean bag chair that was perfect for cuddling and reading. It was begging for books to be placed beside it. This bookshelf has been so great. We've even had to buy more books, just because we have a place for them (besides piles on the floor). It was a fairly simple plan, and I love the beadboard backing and the molding at the bottom.
Number Two: If any smallish children ask, "Santa's Elf" made this. This little picnic table was Maryn's Christmas present. I didn't want to pay to move our cheapo plastic picnic table, so I sold it before we moved. The kids love eating outside, and I love them eating outside. No sweeping up, right? Win-win. Actually, win-win-win because it also feeds the birds and bugs. This wasn't too hard. I did learn a valuable lesson about buying only very very straight boards. Even the slightest twist or warp will throw everything off, and you will spend hours unscrewing and going back to the store for more wood. I think my favorite thing about this table is how big it is. It easily holds 6 kids, and probably even 8. I used a good quality outdoor paint to protect it since it now lives on the back patio.
There are new projects beginning to stir in this crazy head of mine. I must admit, I really do enjoy making cute things from a couple of pieces of wood. I think I'm ready to move on to using better quality (more expensive) wood for my projects. If only I had more free time to go out and play with my tools....
5 comments:
You are incredibly talented!
You are seriously impressive, Em!! All of the projects are awesome, but that picnic table is my favorite. I think it's so neat that you've turned your interests into such a useful hobby! I'm totally impressed with your talent :)
I actually keep thinking I want to build some things like that, but Corbet always gives me a funny look when I bring it up. Now I have the excuse of Personal Progress projects so maybe I will actually do some. I think every single thing you made I have been wanting to make. I will have to get your patterns. Sounds like some good tax season projects to me!
seriously impressed by your mad skill. sticky drawer or not, it looks great. I'm sure that is some great analogy for life.
I love how you just went for it. Now I have a few things for you to build for me.
Post a Comment