[insert political rant, here]
[wishing I knew more about politics to give an educated rant]
Ok, so I had two problems. My first problem was this:
What is this you ask? Why, it's a 1 year old. And not just any one year old, she's a particularly pesky one year old.
There isn't a cupboard in my house that hasn't been ravaged by this one. No closet has been left undisturbed, and anything within her reach gets dumped out."Anything within her reach" also includes that box of ribbon in my craft room.
It's really fun for a one year old to unwind ribbon.
Have you ever had to wind up 20 spools of ribbon? I have. Multiple times. I don't remember the point where I stopped winding them up, and just started throwing them back into the box.My next problem was this:
So. A few weeks ago, I had a stroke of genius. I took a look at my two problems (the ribbon unwinding 1-year-old and the blank wall), drove over to Lowes, and after wandering around the store a bit, figured out a solution to these two said problems. Seriously, it was genius at work.
(Also, I have to give props to the worker at Lowes who was actually the one who sparked this idea. And I want to publicly thank him for not voicing his judgments upon me when I reluctantly told him I wanted to make an organizer for my ribbons. It was one of those moments where I out-housewifed myself.)
This is what I came up with:
Here are my plans. Now keep in mind that I was trying to spend as little as possible on this project. I'm not real big into spending $$$ on keeping my ribbon organized, and I'm gonna go ahead a brag that I only spent $3 to make this. [score!] I already had wood left over from previous projects, and hooks at home, so I only had to buy the dowels. So, if you are working on scraps, or you just want to make it bigger/smaller, adjust your measurements accordingly. It's pretty easy.
These are the supplies you need:
2--1x4 cut at 20" (top and bottom)
2--1x4 cut at 33 1/2" (sides)
2--1x2 cut at 32" (inner pieces)
5--3/8" wooden dowels cut at 19 1/2" (this leaves a lot of waste from 48" dowels, but this was the widest I could make mine with out needing to buy more 1x4s. You could easily increase your dowel length to 24" by increasing your top and bottom pieces to 24 1/2")
10 screw in hooks (sorry, I don't know the exact size. I just happened to have these in my tool box, and they worked perfectly with the 3/8" dowels)
Paint
Tape measure
Miter saw
Screws
Wood glue
Sander
Hangers
I would recommend white wood for your project. It's cheap. Just make sure it's STRAIGHT!
Figure out how large you want your organizer to be. If it's different than my dimensions, make up a diagram and double check all your measurements before you cut.
Cut all your wood, and predrill any holes for screws. I just happen to have a Kreg Jig (that I LoVE!), so I did pocket holes. If you don't have a pocket hole system, I would take careful measurements and predrill holes from the sides. Countersinking your screws would make it look even better. After things are cut and predrilled, sand like crazy!
(I'm not sure who's old hands those are!! They sure need some lotion, though.)
With a pencil, draw a line the entire length of your side piece so you can line it up.
Now, before you add your 1x2s into your frame, you will want to predrill the holes for your hooks. I started with my first hook at 4" from the top, and the last hook 4" from the bottom. The other 3 hooks were set 6" away from the last. These measurements have worked out great! Drill your holes (they don't need to be drilled through to the other side) and sand.
This is how the hooks will all look when you are completely done:
Using glue and screws again, put that bad boy together.
Once it's all dried, add your hangers. I put on two, to keep it stable.
Screw in your hooks. I used a little bit of glue on each one so it wouldn't twist around.
2 comments:
Add that to my order list from the Emily Roundy Woodworking Co. And I would also like my ribbon to be made into cute bows to don my girlies heads. Let me know when you are ready to ship.
nicely done. consider me impressed.
Post a Comment