Friday, April 18, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!!

So, this morning was kind of a weird one. Maryn woke up at about 4 something and was crying because she wanted to say prayers. ????? She gets that weirdness from her mom I'm afraid. I snuggled her back in and crawled back into my bed. I laid there for a while, then got up to go to the bathroom, filled up the hot water bottle for my sore back, then laid back down and thought about all the things I needed to do, but didn't want to. Finally, after what seemed like forever I fell asleep. I was having a weird dream. First, Kade and I went to the grocery store. We didn't have a car, we just had a four wheeler...and it was raining. We left the grocery store, on our four wheeler, and we went to the park, where my sister was waiting to see us with her family. I was so excited to see them all, and I was just giving my nephew a hug, when I was woken out of a very deep sleep. It was the weirdest feeling. My bed felt like a big pan of jello. That was for reals the first thought that came to my mind as I was trying to figure out what was going on. I asked myself several times over if this was real or if I was dreaming, but it sure felt like an earthquake (or what I imagined they felt like) and it didn't really fit into my dream. I could hear the windows rattling and the closet door shaking. After the shaking stopped, I looked at my clock, so I could confirm my crazy notions in the morning.
Lo and behold when I checked the internet after we got up, this morning at 5:40 am, we had an earthquake. The epicenter (is that the word?) was quite a ways away, and I don't think there was too much damage. But I think it was pretty cool that I experienced my first earthquake. I'll be sure to check that one off my list of things to do before I die.
I even felt one of the aftershocks this morning as I was making Maryn's PB and J (I promise, I feed my child other things besides peanut butter sandwiches). It sounded like a really big truck was driving by our house really fast, for a long time. And, the water that had collected in the stacks of dishes in the sink (which are still stacked up in the sink) was jiggling...kinda like on Jurassic Park. Creeeeeeepy.
I'm glad no one got hurt and that there wasn't too much damage done here. I don't know about other areas, but I think just some bricks fell off of a building in downtown. I was a little nervous to open my garage door this morning. I had painted a piece of furniture in the garage yesterday and had propped parts of it up to dry overnight. I was pretty certain that they had fallen over and scratched my car on the way down. But, we lucked out.
It's good to know our really really really old house can withstand a small earthquake. Hopefully we won't ever have to find out if it can withstand more than that!

5 comments:

Ben and Krystal said...

So, if you like earthquakes now are you ready to move to California and live it up? We'll be glad to have you! Happy to hear you are all doing so well, congrats by the way on your growing family. I am jealous that Kirk gets to hang with the happening Roundy clan soon!
~Ben

Roundy Clan said...

I am from Cali and now living in Texas for the past 4 years I can say this: I would take an earthquake to tornado's ANY day! haha

Dani said...

Being from Cali, I surely don't miss the earthquakes one little bit. I'm so glad we didn't feel it here, it would have really freaked me out. Well, any natural disaster I guess, I don't like any of them.

ollie said...

I must be a super deep sleeper 'cause I didn't feel anything! That's so crazy that you guys actually felt it!

Allison said...

cool