Last Saturday was the Kentucky Derby (that's a big horse race for you non-kentuckians). It tends to cause a bit of a stir in Louisville, probably because it is the most exciting 2 minutes in sports. Anywho, the city provides lots of events and concerts and fun stuff beginning a few weeks before the big race. There was the Air Show (which Maryn and I attended, but pretty much had to leave because it was so blazing windy and cold) followed by Thunder Over Louisville, a really big fireworks show. We didn't go to Thunder because we were still freezing from the Air Show. Then over the next few weeks there were things like hot air balloon races, marathons (I had some friends who ran the marathon...they are my heroes. Way to go Erin, Amber, and Janelle!), boat races, concerts, parades, and a whole lot of other things we didn't bother to attend.
This year was the first year in all the years that I've lived here, (that rhymed and I didn't even mean to) that we went to the Pegasus Parade. I'll admit, I was a little disappointed. With all the publicity it gets and the huge crowds it draws, it was kinda lame. But it was a way to spend an evening together. Maryn brought her cars to play with, Kade played games on his cell phone, and I ate all the snacks I brought with us. Now that's quality time. We went down early and set up our chairs right on the road so we could catch all the candy they threw...which turned out to be none. Pretty much the Pegaus Parade consists of a billion high school bands and drill teams, along with the local "celebrities" and some big balloons. I think the planning committee for the Derby Festivals must have made God angry, because we had very undesirable weather for most of the major events. Rain and cold on Thunder, really really really windy for the parade....etc.
This was my favorite picture from the parade. A big gust of wind blew Kermit the Frog over and it looks like he is about to eat his handlers. Ha ha!
We finally left after the one millionth marching band came by. I got bored with trying to pick out the geekiest kid.
For the Derby on Saturday, we decided to be the poor suckers who hosted a "Par-tay." It was actually very fun and very easy. We cooked bratwurst on the grill and made everyone else bring the other stuff that takes time to prepare. We had prizes for the people who drew the first, second, and third place horses (no, we didn't gamble this year). You'd be surprised at how hard it was to find Derby crap this year. I really had to drive all over town, and the best I could find turned out to be at the walmart down the street. If you didn't catch the news, here are the winners from the 134th Kentucky Deby:
The winner: Big Brown

Second Place: Eight Belles (the one on the inside. The jockey is wearing the green and white hat). Unfortunately for her, she broke 2 legs immediately AFTER the race and had to be euthanized.

And I couldn't find a picture of the Third Place horse, Denis of Cork. Too bad. But, here we are with our partyin' friends (some are missing from this picture). We had everyone wear hats, and the one with the craziest hat won a prize (peanut butter m&m's), that all the little kids found sitting out later and ate.
We had a fun time. I mean, how could we not? We had an exciting race, good food, and even better friends to hang out with. We hope this is a tradition we can continue, even long after we leave Kentucky.
6 comments:
Looks like you had a fun party!! I like the pic of Kermit the Frog. I thought about talking Brady into going down to the parade, but it sounds like we didn't miss much!
thanks again for hosting such a fun par-tay!! we had a great time even though we were the party poopers that had to leave early due to a religious bedtime routine!!
Ok, so I want to come to your derby party next year--looks like fun! :) And, that Kermit picture made me laugh so hard! LOL
...I'll look at the forecast and see if we can make a zoo date next week... I'll give you a call!
Great Post. I laughed and laughed at all the sarcasim. You two are very good Derby hosts, I think all the time that we should do a derby party like the one you did for us in the old town houses.
It is nice to read up on the race, since we missed it this year. Looks like you had a fun party!
looks like you had a good party. Im glad you listened to me and did a party. I always think about throwing a party but wonder if anyone would come since no one out here knows what the heck you're talking about when you say "the Derby." Looks like the hat thing worked out well.
Post a Comment