[High pitched "Psycho" stabbing sounds]
REE
REE
REE
REE
Remember last September here in Kentucky? If you don't, let me refresh your memory:
Crazy bad wind storm. Crashing trees. Power lines down everywhere. 9 gruelling days without power. No hot water. The stomach flu.
The darkness....oh, the darkness!
I went to bed last night, laughing about the weather forecast. In 1996 (I think) we had a big snow storm here in Louisville. It dumped about 3 feet of snow in a few hours and shut down the city for about a week. Have a good laugh. Our city is full of little pansies. So now, every time they forecast a tiny bit of snow, suddenly people become very cautious/slightly crazy. Well, on Monday, we started getting warnings about all this nasty winter weather coming through our area. For once, our meteorologists got it right! Yesterday, it snowed a few inches. Then, later that night it started to rain. Then it froze. This was my night.
11:00 pm: Look outside and see that it has been raining/freezing. Think to myself, "I should take a picture in the morning, that looks really cool!" Go to bed.
1:56 am: Loud BOOM wakes me up. Not quite sure what it going on, I get out of bed and look out our front window. Several big branches down in our yard. Power has flickered, but resumed.
1:57 am: Have flashbacks to last September.
1:58 am: Worry sets in. Try to go back to bed.
2:56 am: (No joke, it was exactly an hour) Another loud BOOM. Window. More big branches down. Power still on.
2:57 am: More worry. Turn off TV and lights in family room where Kade has fallen asleep on the couch. Back to bed.
7:00 am: Loud crash wakes me up. My clock is once again blinking "12:00" "12:00" "12:00" "12:00". Look out window to see this:
Hmmm, now where have I seen a picture similar to this before? Oh, yeah, last September, in my yard:
Two words, people: UNDERGROUND WIRES. Gees, how many times does our power line have to be ripped from our house to figure out that falling tree limbs damage power lines?
Between 7:00 and 7:30 am: Have to call the power company 4 times to get through and report the active, deadly, downed power line draped across our front yard and over the road. Then call our landlord to explain that our meter box has once again been torn from the house. He sounds tired.
7:30 am: Start some laundry and get into the shower while we still have a functioning hot water heater.
3:00 pm: Active, deadly power line still laying across our yard. No sign of the power company. (They will probably disconnect our line, anyway.) I stare out the window, wondering if all the kids walking past our house on their way to the park are smart enough to stay away from the line.
Did we make some Weather God angry? Why didn't we get our trees pruned last fall? Should I consider it a miracle that we still have power....do we have a higher power on our side? Mayhaps.
Here are a few pictures I took this morning. I'm trying to be artistic. Not sure if it worked. I was really cold.
10 comments:
We've been wondering and worrying about you guys. We're so glad you know to stay away from those downed power lines. :) It's good you are on top of things.
Is that a frozen bird coming out of that birdhouse?
Dang girl! I'm so glad you somehow, miraculously, have power. Pretty crazy UofL has had this many canceled days (it's nice that I work for the school... I'll take the freebies). Looks like you guys have had some bad luck with living in that house. Maybe we're having second thoughts? Nah. Just try not to burn the place down ;) see you Sunday- Superbowl baby!
I'm glad you have your power. I was wondering about you. If I was a really good friend, I probably should've called. Well, I didn't, but know I still care...hee hee... if you need anything, let me know. We're up and running over here... I'll knock on wood :)
And I always thought Kentucky was suppose to be a moderate climate area. I guess I was wrong.
wowza..i'm so glad you still have power. if that changes, let us know. we still have power too thankfully! does the weather affect your trip to denver today though??? i hope not. i hope you guys can go and get things taken care of. good luck!
I think the artistry works. Very Ansel Adams. Sorry about the frustrations.
All I can say is WOW! I am sure glad we missed that storm. Mind you we aren't having much better luck with the crazy sub zero temperatures and feet of snow! Hopefully your luck will change!
I'm glad we're not the only ones with snow!! Glad you guys are alright, that would be scary! How did you manange 9 days with no power!!!! I love the picture of the tree branches. Lots of neat patterns!
I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!
Post a Comment