Sunday, May 10, 2009
Happy Mother's Day to ME!!
I have no idea what possessed to feel so ambitious, but I made this skirt. A few weeks ago, I was at Hobby Lobby (♥♥♥) where they had patterns on sale for .99, so I had to stop and scavenger for a moment....which actually took about an hour. I found a couple of patterns I liked, and 2 yards of cute fabric, and I thought to myself, "Self, this should be easy!"
Yeah, it wasn't really.
I grew up with my mom as my personal seamstress. I bought it, she made it fit (I was a rather scrawny child....if you could imagine), and every so often we would make things together, like my senior prom dress. It was my Laurel project, so my mom would sew one side, I sewed the other (really, she pretty much made it). Anywhoo, I thought for sure this would be a cinch.
Not so for the following reasons:
1. The smallest size on the pattern was still about 2 sizes too big (curse those misses sizes!)
2. You have to have something slippery between your legs and cotton fabric...unless you want to give a show while you walk. This pattern had no lining, so I had to make it up, which required a lot of brain power.
3. I've never actually sewn a zipper on my own. Yikes.
Despite all those obstacles, [warning: bragging moment ahead] it actually turned out much better than I expected! Yay! And, to top it all off, I am proud to announce that I am officially back in to my pre-Ailee pant size! Double Yay! I wore it to church today, as it was my Mother's Day present to myself, probably because I ignored my kids for 2 days while I made it, which makes me a really good mother. And, I can equate making a skirt to child birth: I wanted to swear a lot while I was working, the labor was so intense that I never want to do it again, I love the end product (though it won't poop and spit up all over me), and probably I'll forget how hard it was in a few years and try it again.
Happy Mother's Day to all you Mommas and Hot Mammasitas out there!
Oh, and as a side note: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KADE!! Every so often, our worlds collide and Kade's Birthday lands on Mother's Day. I don't mind sharing my celebratory day with him, but there is the conundrum of who has to wipe the poopy bottoms all day. I would do a post specially for his bday, but how can I top last year's "Ode to Kade"? It was pretty rockin' awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
LOVE the skirt! :) Nice work--I'm not as daring as you, but it is always nice when you work on a project and it turns out better than you expected. Happy Mommy's Day, and Happy Birthday, Kade!
Nice Job! I loved the part where you compared it to childbirth, I think there are so many of those kind of "projects" we do to ourselves.
Happy Birthday, Kade!
fabulous job on the skirt!! it's super cute. i thought that at church today but knowing you made it makes it doubly cute. i'm seriously going to miss your craftiness when you leave. you inspire me...maybe i'll be like you when i grow up! for reals! anyways, happy birthday to kade too...we wouldn't want to forget him today! hope you both have a great day!
I love the skirt. It is super cute. Also I love the link to the Ode to Kade. I didn't have a blog last year so I missed it. That was great.
ADORABLE!! I love the skirt and I found that if I tilt my screen just right, your legs become a beautiful tan!!
Great job on the skirt! I too had a personal seamstress in my mother and thankfully she still is close by so that I can use her skills every so often. I don't think I have ever attempted clothing by myself. Other stuff yes!
Nice pose! You are a natural. I am so impressed with your talents. Really great job on the skirt. I also hit that same sale and stocked up on some patterns. I might even have the same one. They are just collecting dust. I haven't adventured into the fabric yet. I wish you were here to tutor me.
Oh Emily...You are such a funny gal! You just keep me giggling! I love the skirt and I'm very impressed with your motivation to actually sew your own clothes! Way to go!
Your skirt is WAY cute!!!
Post a Comment