I thought about big SUVs. But, with all my back problems, I could only imagine the back/headaches that would result from hoisting/throwing children up into their seats. I looked at a few mid-sized SUVs, but given that I couldn't even fit the stroller into the back with the third row of seats up, I had to cross them off my list, too. So, I settled into looking at mini-vans.
A mini-van.
I'm really fat and pregnant and miserable.
I just turned thirty years old.
The thought of being a "mini-van mom" almost sent me into a horrible downward spiral of self-pity. Ugh.
But, I knew it must be.
So, after test driving a bazillion Toyota Siennas, almost buying a Toyota Sienna, and getting really irritated with the salesman at the Toyota dealership, we bought this:
Yep, it's a Honda. His name is Homer. I can't believe I drive a Honda Odyssey....[whispering] and I love it! I was so resistant because EVERYONE drives an Odyssey, and I hate to conform, but it is so great! I love the space. I love that I can push a button and doors open for me. We haven't used the dvd player because of throw up issues, but I love that my kids can listen to their cd on the headphones while I listen to the radio. I called all over our side of Denver and found a dealership I was happy with, just over the phone. That turned out to be a good choice. I hate haggling, and they were the only ones who didn't haggle with me on the phone. We felt like we got a good price and a good car, without all the messy stuff.
Homer's my new ride. Sure, I don't get stares from hottie guys as I drive by anymore (ok, that didn't really happen anyway), but it's all cool. I've accepted that I'm a tubby, 30 something, who drives a mom-mobile.
8 comments:
Goodbye Vinnie, and hellooooo Homer. Ohhh forbidden doughnut - oh wait, wrong Homer. Doh! :D Love it, and yes they are fun to drive.
Welcome to the three-kids-need-a-minivan club!!!
If you're tubby, than I am a whale that would provide the local native population with enough fuel for this winter. Haven't you seen the toyota commericials and how you are still a cool mom even though you drive a mini-van? Is that color Dark Grey or Green slate? What year is it, is it new? Can't wait to see it.
nice ride.
and yes, let's make shoes!!! did you get my message a few days ago? i fully intend on getting in crafty girl mode and making cute girly things when I come out.
aaahhhh...you conformed! but it's all good. nice ride. we're actually in the same boat...trying to figure out if we can squeeze 3 carseats in the back of our rendezvouz (it doesn't have a 3rd row). we'll see what/if we end up with anything new next year once this baby arrives!! glad you love your new Homer!
It's okay Emily....I LOVE the Odyssey and know that's probably what we'll end up with too when we get one. They are NICE! Enjoy it!
Oh I sympathize! It is very hard to let go of any idea you may have had that you were kind of cool... Its just a "yep, I'm in my 30s, have kids, live in the 'burbs, drive a mini-van, there is nothing "cool" about me." So sad. But I had no inner struggles over color or type of mini-van. I figured there was no redeeming quality amongst any of them, so I just got the most convenient one I could: an Odyssey :)
Maybe if we make a club with a cool name we'll feel better about our frumpyness? You perfectly described my feelings---especially being pregnant with a new van. Somehow, however, it gets better once that baby comes out, promise.
Post a Comment