Tuesday, May 13, 2008

For "The Flower"

Don't think you're going crazy--I am actually completing two posts in one week. It probably won't ever happen again, mostly because my life is pretty dull.
For Mother's Day this year I decided I wanted to do a little project for my mom. My inspiration came from my friend, Ollie, who presented this idea to me a while back at an Enrichment Activity for church. My mom always has grandkids at her house, and what little kid doesn't want to be Grandma's Helper?? So, I made an apron for my Mom, and 4 coordinating little aprons for the kiddos. The adult apron I found just at Walmart. I looked at Target, and found some cute ones that had matching towels, but the cost to do the whole project would have been much more. Since we don't have jobs in this household, I thought I should cut costs and do the work myself. I got a plain, white chefs apron for about $5 and found some really cute ribbon for $3 to embellish it with all at Walmart. I already had a D ring at home (or something similar to it), that I had taken off a pair of pants a long time ago, so I used that to make the neck adjustable. I did do a little extra work to put the ribbon on the pocket. I actually removed the pocket, sewed on the ribbon, then resewed the pocket to the apron. It was worth the effort. Here is my finished product.
For the children's apron, I just bought a set of 4 kitchen towels that would coordinate somewhat with my ribbon on the adult apron. The best I could find were khaki color, but since these aprons would be for both boys and girls, I thought that was best. I bought ribbon in the $1 bin at Micheals in khaki, chocolate brown, and pink. The pattern I used was from the Family Fun website. It turned out to be pretty simple and the only tough part was figuring out how to embellish the aprons with ribbons to make them all different. I prewashed the towels, and some of them shrunk a little, so all the sizes ended up being a little different, which is probably best because I didn't want 4 aprons that would only fit 3 year olds. Here's how they turned out:

This one was Maryn's favorite...maybe because it had pink and bows on the back. Very girlie. I had to chase her down to take it off her.And, of course we had to get a picture of the two of use trying them out.

This is a fun little project for anyone who likes to cook and has kids that love to "help." I keep telling myself I need to make one for myself and Maryn. She had a great time trying them on.

10 comments:

Collette and Kevin said...

so adorable. what a great idea. i reiterate my probably several comments before of how you really are the most crafty person i know!! i need to become more like you!

Allison said...

Em, they're so cute. I hope I get the gusto to do them for me.

Good job.

Laura Jansson said...

So cute, Em! You are so crafty! :)

Brady and Kariann said...

You are so crafty!! What a cute project - and they turned out great.

The Wilkes said...

Super cute! Well we're here in AZ...in response to your question about Berque, NM we know tons about it. My brother lived there for about 6 years and have visited it many times. To best describe, it's a good medium between UT and AZ. Give me a call sometime and I can give you some more info.

Ashley at flats to flip flops said...

Super Crafty! This is a trait I admire because I am NOT!

ollie said...

"The flower" Ha! That's so great! I totally remember your dad always calling her "flower". I found it odd and cute all at the same time!

Aprons look great, what did she think of them?

Jessie said...

What a fun idea for your mom! They are adorable1

Anonymous said...

You are so talented. And congrats on the new bun (in the oven). You guys need to come over some time. I am in a house full of guys. Once I finally get my blog moving I will have to post about naked boys (one wasn't even mine) jumping on the trampoline. Before you ask...it was not Scott.

mom said...

I loved the aprons.  It was a great gift and so fun to get something homemade from my daughter.  I also loved the picture of you and Maryn waering them.  Next time she visits we can bake together.