Have you ever heard of this? The rule of thirds. Things happen in sets of three. Three good things; three bad things; three scary things; three calls to 911. Wait...what?
Yeah, what will happen next, I wonder. So, remember last spring, when I had to call 911 about a fire at the park? Well, today wins in the "what the heck do I do" category.
Kade got home early from work today, so, I went out to have some solo shopping time. (I love shopping without kids...it's so peaceful, and actually enjoyable.) My first stop was to one of my new favorite stores here, Wrought 'n Apples. Love it. Cute stuff. So fun. Next, I had to pick up some crafting supplies at Joann's. So, I'm wondering through the store, just browsing, thinking up things I could possibly need so that I don't have to come back with kids. I finally decide I can live with just what's in my hands, and I start to head for the front. As I pass an aisle, I notice a woman acting kind of strange. Kind of spinning around, looking up at the lights. My first thought was oh, there's a bee flying around her head, and she's trying to watch it and make sure it doesn't land on her...but that's a weird thought, I know. It's winter...no bees. I decide to be my usual un-nosy self and keep walking. About 2 steps later, I hear her fall to the ground. I look over and she's convulsing on the ground. I quickly call to some of the workers around the corner that we needed help, and to another costumer to call 911. I tell you, nothing makes you feel more helpless than kneeling next to a person having a seizure. 14 years of CPR certification, and I still felt like an idiot, not knowing what to do. I was so glad when another costumer, a nurse, came over. She was choking a bit on her saliva, so we rolled her onto her side to help her breathe better. I was pretty relieved to turn things over to the paramedics. As I paid for my things at the register, it took all my strength not to burst into tears. What a weird feeling. Somebody else is lying on the floor passed out, and I'm the one that wants to cry. What a weenie!
So what about this rule of thirds? Is it real? We've already covered:
1. Fire
2. Medical Emergency
3.?????
What's left? Robbery? A rabid dog? Weirdo stalkers? Yikes--who knows, and I really hope I don't find out. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go lock all my doors.
5 comments:
Wow. That would be really scary. I'm glad there was a nurse right there to help. I'm sure the lady will be forever grateful to you for acting fast. Way to go!
yeah, i think i would have felt the same way even with cpr training. and I am sure i would have cried too, situations like that go straight to my tear ducts.
that'll show you to go shopping alone.
Well, let's see. Maybe the third call to 911 will be one of your kids dialing the phone for fun! Hey, it happens, trust me!
Hey there... I was just doing a little blog stalking... I happened upon your blog from Janelle's... anywho, I've spent the last few minutes fondly admiring your crafty handiwork from the sewing machine... mine sewing machine leaves much to be desired- so I must ask... what kind of machine do you have?? 'Cause I'm SURE that if I have a better machine (as in better than a $99 Walmart special *wink*wink*) I'll suddenly be more crafty- janicotton {at} gmail {dot} com
PS Your girls are darling...
I feel your pain. When I also went out for solo shopping time I came upon a motorcycle/truck accident before the police and paramedics arrived. I was going to give CPR if need be, but they were breathing....wedged under their motorcycle and the back of the truck. I knew it was best not to move them, so I just stood there helpless watching blood pool in the middle of the road. I was relieved when a police officer arrived. It was pretty traumatic. I was the one that went and sat in a parking lot and cried.
Post a Comment