Wednesday, March 18, 2009

An Exciting Spring Day

The past few days here in KY have been very beautiful. I'm so excited that Spring is here. It seems like it came overnight...either that, or I am not very observant. I just noticed that all of the Spring blooms are out. The forsythia and magnolias are always a welcome sight.

From our backyard
My friend, Sarah, called me up this morning to see if we wanted to go to the park. We called a few more people and headed out to Cherokee Park. At about 1 o'clock, we're starting to pack things up, the kids are flying a kit, and we're just kind of relaxing in a field next to the playground. Suddenly, Sarah and I notice three boys standing at the edge of the field, looking into the woods. About 5 feet from where they are standing, the dead brush is smoking, a lot.
"Fire," they start saying. Not yelling. Just saying it. Kind of to each other, like they don't know what to do. Sarah and I are the closest adults, so we starting walking over. Two boys run away, the other stays and says "Fire" a little bit louder to us. "Is it really a fire?" Sarah asks the boy. He nods, and we see flames shoot up. Fortunately I had my water bottle and a small thermos. Sarah grabs them while I stay with the kids. Another lady comes over and yells to call the fire department. I am the only one nearby. And, yes, the number to call is 911. While I am on the phone with the 911 operator, everyone starts running over with their water bottles, pouring water on the flames. The operator gets the information: my name, number, where we are, etc. Just as we are done, someone yells, "Its out!" Now I feel dumb, talking to a 911 operator about a small fire at the park, that is now out. They will send a truck over, just in case.
Wow, I have never had to call 911, and hope I never have to again. However, Sarah was able to fulfill her life long dream of being a forest firefighter. And, three boys learned a lesson that:
Smoke grenade + dead leaves = Fire

3 comments:

Mbeth said...

so cherokee park makes me think of mom. i'd gone on a bike ride with mom and dad and we stopped for a bit in I think Cherokee park. mom then announces, "we sure are the only white people around here." which was a true statement but dad and i weren't sure why she needed to announce it to everybody. :)
she was full of unintentional one-liners that whole bike ride now that i think about it.

The Manwarings said...

Emily to save the day! I'm glad you're all safe but probably rather thirsty.

Anonymous said...

EM- Yeah, we thought spring was here last week too, but it decided to snow again on Sunday, just when the last bit of snow melted. I guess that's just Idaho for ya.