Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fashion is a Passion, So, What the Heck Happened??

I have a rant for you today.
About clothes.
What is up, people?? Has anyone else noticed how uncute the styles in the stores are today? (and by "the stores" I mean Gap, Old Navy, Target, Kohls, even [clearance] Banana Republic--you know, stores I can afford to shop at) I don't need to impress others with my clothes, I only dress for myself, according to my moods, and tastes. Just like every other girl in the world, I don't have a perfect body: scrawny, flat chested (folks, it's no secret), stick pretzel arms, stretched out waistline from having 2 too many kids....the list could go on, but I will spare you. So, give me some clothes that work with my problems, not accentuate them. Do you think I want to wear a tent so that people can raise an eyebrow at me, wondering if I'm expecting #3? [no] What is with the giant puffy sleeves? Nobody thinks I've started a new work out routine by wearing those. And, does anybody out there look good in neons? I'm not blond, tan, and beautiful...I'm a pasty white girl who just wants to blend in, not stick out like a tourist in Cancun.
I started looking for some clothes I can wear to church. Nice, but comfy ('cause I'm in the Primary). All my cute clothes were short sleeves, short skirts, and well, I live in Colorado, so I need something with a little warmth. I think I scoured the stores and internet and came up with nothing. Nothing. Everything seems so BLAH, skanky, or very unflattering.
Could you see me chasing my kids around the park in this:

[pupupupoker face pupupoker face]

For you fashion designers out there, this is my plea to you. Give us something to work with. Us--stay at home moms with kids, and really distorted bodies. We want: Comfortable, washable, feminine, with just a little bit of flare (because staying at home can be pretty boring at times), but nothing showy or bedazzled [PLEASE], and colors that make us think of pretty things like sunsets or meadows, not caution cones. And, what happened to the square neck? I've always liked it, but it seems to have disappeared.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have any suggestions as to were I should start shopping?

7 comments:

Janelle said...

Oh I am so with you---especially on the pasty and flat part! I don't know what the solution is, but when you find one, let me know!

Mbeth said...

I seem to have too many curves in all the wrong places and all of my clothes shrank over the holidays.

Just so you know Sardinia, Italy sounds a lot like my neighborhood: lots of stray cats and old buildings.

Heather said...

Why don't they make women's clothes with pockets?

The Grows said...

I know what you mean. As a result I have stopped trying to dress myself well. Now I focus all my efforts on Lexi and hoepfully she will be so cute no one will notice what I am wearing.

Allison said...

Amen to that one. Geez, I don't the last time I bought a top or a skirt that I'm in love with.

Jace and Tami said...

Well believe it or not I like Victoria Secret. Ha ha, not what you are thinking. Their catalog has comfortable, cute normal clothes, but I can't afford them so I wait until I get their 70% off catalogs and order a few things. You can always find coupon codes for free shipping and money off and you can use more than one. So I order online. My favorite store however is The Limited. Their clothes are very soft and feminine however once again I can only afford their clearance racks, but they do have good sales. Well that's how I shop although I haven't been to the mall in months, since the new baby. Anyway nothing fits me right now because I weigh way to much and have a big roll around the middle. At least I'm bigger than flat right now thanks to nursing! Love you and good luck!

Roundy Clan said...

I was thinking about writing a blog like this about not being able to buy cute "fat girl" clothes. So I guess it goes to show that the skinny girls don't like the clothes out there right now too! :) I have decided to try and make myself a shirt....if I can just stop making purses long enough to do so. I suggest going to a thrift store and then "fixing" things to be cuter or fit better.