Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You Reap What You Sew

WARNING: There are some pretty poorly taken pictures on this post, but they shouldn't be hazardous to your health.

So, I have been a crazy sewing lady these past few weeks. I don't know what got into me. I think I get tired of not being able to find what I need, so I have to make it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most times I have to make a few prototypes (aka messups) before I get it right. Aaaaaaanyhooo, here's what I've been up to in the wee hours of the morning.

My mom made the CUTEST quietbooks for the girls for Christmas. They were quite reminiscent of the quietbooks I knew from my childhood, and for sure required an immense amount of labor and love. Our usual church bag was just a bit too small to fit them, a snack, and coloring books into without pulling a muscle, so I made us a new church bag: I'm actually glad I had a reason to use this very cute fabric. It is one of my favorites from "the Lobby," and after I made a diaper bag for my sister using it, I too needed a reason to have it in my life.

I have spent the last 4 years of my life searching for the perfect bib. I hate bibs. They get smelly, I don't like to wash a million bibs that get their velcro stuck to my clothes in the laundry, and they never keep the milk from seeping onto laps. So, since I am a DIYer, I had to make the perfect bib. I found the tutorial here, but made a few alterations to it. I made it extra long, so that it fit under her highchair try, and I sewed the bottom corners up to catch the spilled milk...which is a daily victory. Also, instead of using thick fabric, I used a thinner twill, and it was much easier to work with (this was bib #2).


Next on my list was a few belts. I had bought the webbing with the intention of making some for my sister, but I didn't have her measurements, and I found these very cute ribbons that were just begging to get used.

This one is my favorite, and I wear it as much as I can:

Finally, with my using my (his) fancy new camera all the time, I felt the need to girlify it. I LOVE the color yellow. Love it, love it, love it. I was browsing Joanns, when I happened upon some oh-so-cute yellow, black and grey print, and just had to buy it. So, using all my brain power, I came up with a camera bag.


It's not quite a perfect camera bag, but it will protect my camera for the time being. Maybe someday I will feel ambitious, and redo it. Not today.

Since I had some left over fabric, I put it to use as a new camera strap. This was actually very, very easy (find instructions here), and I love it. (Thanks, Erin, for pointing me in the right direction)
Sorry about the lame-o picture. This was the only way I could think to take a picture of it, without having to remove it. That would take time.

This is my next big project. My friend who works at the children's salon gave this to me. They were redesigning their salon, and they had two of these benches that were in pretty rough shape. We're working together to make them cute and usable.
I can't wait to get started. I got my new staple gun in the mail last week, and just purchased my air compressor today. So excited to get all power-
tool-fied!

8 comments:

Allison said...

Ummm, I'm going to need you to redo my ottoman after you get done with that bench. How much is your rate?

Chelsea said...

All your crafts are WAY CUTE!!! I wish I was as good at sewing as you are! Anyway NICE JOB!!!

The Wilkes said...

Looks like you're the crafting crazy lady also! Such cute stuff! Good job! As for the baby bootie tutorial, I had to pay $7 for the tutorial on etsy...I thought it was SO worth it though! Here is the website on etsy for it:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=38970296&ref=em

Mbeth said...

um , so i forgot to get you my measurements. will you still make me a belt? i will get them to you asap, because it doesn't look like you are doing enough right now.

Dani said...

I need to get back on the craft wagon...I've kind of fallen off a little bit. I love the camera strap-and I might just have to order one from amazon so I can "re-make" it. :D

Maybe once I get motivated to craft, I'll get the duvet cover made for Madison that I have in mind. We shall see.

Oh, and shoot me an email with the snow code, I'd love some snow :D

Roundy Clan said...

Well I am in the same boat...sewing, sewing, sewing. Do you know whats funny? We have that exact bench at our house and we love it. :) Also, I made mom a strap for her camera for Christmas and I STILL haven't made the time to make myself one! go figure

Collette and Kevin said...

you never cease to amaze me!! i love all your new crafts. absolutely adore the bibs! can i pay you for some???? cuz you have nothing better to do than make things for other people, right??!! anyways, love it all...maybe one day i will become a better DIY-er.

Sarah said...

Hi Emily! I was lead to your blog from my sister (Karen McDonald) and I read it often as you often make me laugh out loud with your humor! I love to read your posts as they always make me smile!

I LOVE LOVE the camera strap you made!! I think you should start a shop on etsy with all the stuff you make! I wouldn't even know where to begin! How much can I pay you to make me a camera strap? I found some on Etsy, but they weren't nearly as nice. I tried to bribe my mom into making one, but she didn't seem up to it! ha ha! :-)