Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Victory Chili

Ah, victory...how wonderful it tastes. This time it really did taste good.
So, last week, we were having dinner with our friends, Paul and Janelle. It had been kind of a stressful, busy week, and I still had to produce some form of a talk for church on Sunday. Kade and Paul were joking about all the sacrilegious things I could say from the podium, and kind of giggling about how funny they thought they were. Then, Janelle came up with the brilliant idea of giving me a challenge. My challenge was that I had to use a specific phrase within my talk, and they would reward me somehow. The phrase they decided on: "vinyl siding," and the reward...dinner made of their yummy white chili.
Well, I am very pleased to announce that not only did I say "vinyl siding" once, but twice. And to top it all off, I pulled it off pretty smoothly and without a smirk. I couldn't look at them during my talk, because I knew they were laughing out there in the congregation. I'm sure people were wondering why I was smiling so smuggly up there on the stand after I was done...I was very proud of myself.
They made us dinner last night. Mmmmm, it tasted so good.

9 comments:

Allison said...

You go, Em, they'll never underestimate you again.

The Wilkes said...

Great story! I wish we could have been there in on the joke...I bet it was hilarious!

Laura Jansson said...

That's hilarious. I want to know how you fit that into a talk. LOL

Collette and Kevin said...

that's too funny. you definitely pulled it off!! i meant to tell you on sunday that i enjoyed your talk.

Roundy Clan said...

HAHAHA I am SO going to have to do that next time I give a talk. Hilarious!

Jessie said...

I don't know how you pulled it off, but hat's off to you! I would have totally broke down laughing after the first one!

Mbeth said...

I wish i could have been there to witness you in all of your talk glory. sounds like a good way to come up with material for a talk.

Dani said...

I gotta know....how did you slip that phrase in TWICE?? I too will have to remember that little challenge. It's a good one! :)

Michael and Brinn said...

You were so good. YOu're talk was great and you were so smooth! Hope you enjoyed every bit of that chili because you deserved it.